This is the first post in the “Cheap Air Flights – Travel Tips” series, which will explore some common characteristics of low cost airlines and cheap air flights. Cheap air flights are a great way to travel, and I am not going to advise you against them. I only want to highlight some points that you must be aware of. Points, that all travelers should pay attention to, while planning their trip.
10 advices about cheap flights
- Price of the ticket. – Beware of advertised prices. They always exclude fees, taxes etc. The price you see in the ad is not what you will pay.
- Departure and destination airports. – In order to lower airport fees, low cost airlines use smaller airports. These airports can be far away from the city you are going. Count on some extra expenses because of it.
- Hidden fees and taxes. – Beside the price of the ticket, you will pay fees like, credit card handling fee, airport taxes, sometimes even fuel surcharge. Remember that if you want to change any booking details, it will cost you. In addition, there are charges for baggage, reservation for seating etc.
- Tickets. – Most low cost airlines like easyJet operate a ticketless service. All you need at check in is a booking reference number and a Photo ID. This is great, since your ticket can’t be lost or stolen.
- Baggage allowance and excess baggage fees. – All low cost airlines are very strict about baggage allowance. Weigh your baggage before living home. Usual free allowance is 20 kg, and excess baggage fee – 5 € per kilo.
- Connecting flights. – Leave enough time between flights. You have to collect your baggage and check it in again. You will not get refund for the missed second flight because the first was delayed.
- Check-in, boarding and seating. – Most airlines open their check in desks two hours before departure. If you are late, there is no refund. The same happens if you don’t get to boarding gate in time. These airlines often operate a free seating policy based on priority boarding system.
- Food. – Free food is usually not served during flight. It is available for a fee.
- Time your booking. – Flight fares get more expansive as flight date approaches. Book your flight as early as possible. Also, mid-week flights are the cheapest.
- Wouldn’t you get a better deal with a main carrier? – And finally ask yourself, wouldn’t you get a better deal with a main carrier. Honestly, sometimes you would. Following the competition from low cost airlines, flag carriers (like British Airways) have cut their prices on more competing routes. You can find their cheap airfares on routes like London – Rome, for instance. Point in favor of main carriers is that they use main airports, which are easily reachable. Hope that these cheap air flights travel tips were helpful to you. Remember that it’s easiest to get cheap airfares with travel comparison sites.
Where can i book cheap flights?
If you are trying to get cheap airfares, you may try different approaches:
- You can go to your travel agent. Explain your wants and needs to them, and he or she will gladly help you get cheap airfares. Note: This way can be more expansive.
- You can go to the office of your preferred airline, and get cheap airfares there. Note: Most of airlines with cheap air flights prefer if you use their website to book your ticket. (They will in fact offer you cheaper airfares and other benefits if you buy your tickets this way).
- You can visit the website of a low cost airline. However, in order to find the best cheap air flights ticket you should visit more than one airline and compare your findings. Note: this approach can be very time consuming.
- You can go to the travel comparison website, such as cheap flights finder flightticketdeal.com to find your deal there. This is probably the best way to get cheap airfares, since it enables you to see all cheap air flights at a glance and you can spot the bargain straight away.